Thursday, February 15, 2007

Aberlady

Ok, here's the question: should I go ahead and knit up this wool (Heilo, black tweed, 4ply, knits in pattern at 5.5 stitches per inch, on US size 1 needles) in aberlady's pattern, or use it for something else? Aberlady was designed by AS to be knit in a silk/wool blend at 9 stitches per inch, on US size 2 needles. So, this version is much coarser. I have my doubts about whether the pearl stitch pattern will show to good effect. The swatch photo is in bright daylight. Under an incandescent light bulb at night, the pearl stitches loose their organization on the swatch. It might be, that when they have the whole fabric to play with they stand out better. BTW, I am planning to knit it up as a man's waistcoat, not the tight gansey AS designed it for.

1 comment:

Appleblossom said...

Well, the votes and advice are in, and I've ripped out what I began on Aberlady's waistcoat. The consensus was that the pattern needed a finer and shinier yarn. Check out the new swatch I posted March 2nd. The black may become this pattern instead.
Cheers!
MEP