Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ganesha through the fire































Ganesha was glaze fired yesterday. Shino sprayed all over. The belt is manganese oxide with copper carbonate. The glaze looks fantastic!

He was fired in two sections because he is too tall (54") for our kiln. gas fired with reduction cone 6.5. His upper portion was fired upside down to minimize the potential for warping.
Unfortunately, he warped despite our best efforts and no longer fits upper to lower (I blame the missing sections of his belt). sigh.

I spent the day gluing the parts which were broken off him during his greenware stage when a young student fell into him in February. He must be well built since only most of his trunk, his left hand, part of his left foot and parts of his belt broke off in the assault. sigh.

These parts will be molded and cast in bronze. also a new belt will be crafted out of wax and cast so he fits together better.

The skull is the beginning of his stand. it is iron.


2 comments:

victoria said...

I love hid distorted look. Really. His glaze is superb.

can't wait to see Lucy.

Liveoak said...

He has been through the fire
and he is beautiful.
I hope someday you will
see the need in my eyes
and tell me the legend,
and I will listen
without hiding how
I am broken as well.