Sunday, March 9, 2008

Win, Lose, or Fraud

OK, so here's a rare picture of me working on a cake. What is rare about it depends on who you talk to. I'll leave it at that.


Anyway, this was a very fun cake to design. The pictures are kinda crappy because we were finishing the cake as we were rushing to deliver it in time for the party.

A local politician's wife had commissioned this cake to celebrate her husband's recent victory in the city council election. The theme of the party was "Win, Lose, or Fraud" because apparently in the last municipal election there were 300 dead people who voted. Or so the story goes. So I designed a cake depicting the dead on their way to drop their ballots in the ballot box on top.

This was a lot of fun to do, and I have to say a big thank you to my pal who saved my ass by making the cookies and piping the skeletons.

The cake is a yummy lemon butter cake with chocolate and lemon curd filling and vanilla butter cream frosting on the first layer. The second layer has raspberry brandy soaked in the middle. The ballot box is rice crispy treat. The cookies are a chocolate short bread.


I have got to get my commercial kitchen going ASAP; I came home from delivering the cake to discover Emma had gotten up on the table and eaten all the leftover cookies!

No comments: